Meet JonathanRaised in a blue collar household, Jon embraces his mixed background of Portuguese, Mexican, Irish, British, and Native American descent and understands the value of diversity.
A resident of Waianae, Jon is a retired military veteran, a father to a special needs child, and the son of a bus mechanic and school teacher. He has attended Harvard University Extension School, University of Hawaii West Oahu, Art Center College of Design, and Excelsior College (where he graduated summa cum laude in Communications).
As a moderate Democrat, Jon has worked with Republicans and Independents and everyone in between on policies that are best for the people.
"I believe in mana over party politics, returning the 'aina to the kānaka maoli, and speaking truth to power. When bold ideas come from a place of integrity, dignity, and respect, there's nothing we can't achieve to make the island better for current and future generations."
Flexibility and open-mindedness are essential for a healthy democracy and Jon's background makes him the best choice to represent Oahu's 44th District.
* Policy Analyst for Minority Veterans of America - authored, edited, testified, and helped pass over a dozen bills to improve lives of underserved veteran communities on the federal level.
* 11 Years US Navy (Retired) - Served on the USS Monterey and taught at Pearl Harbor. Decorations include: Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal for working with homeless children (including 4 years of work with the non-profit 4Kids), 3 Navy Marine Corps Service Medals with Honorable Mentions for his works with the Coalition of Sailors Against Destructive Decisions in which he made films about sexual assault in the military, drunk driving, texting and driving, and suicide awareness, and the BlueJacket of the Fleet (Atlantic) being selected over tens of thousands of sailors for his hard work and leadership.
* Award winning Novelist and Children's Book Author - The Castaway Kids and the Pirates of Zactrala Island [Winner of the Indie Excellence Book Awards 2014 for Young Adult Fiction] and Kevin Kangaroo
* Writer, Director, Producer, Editor of Films, Commercials, and Videos - Here is a list of Jon's IMDB credits which include work he accomplished at University of Hawaii West Oahu, Art Center College of Design, and while serving in the US Navy. Jon has had commercials air during the Super Bowl, World Cup, and World Series. Jon uses his film skills to help communicate complex ideas to the community in visually appealing, easy-to-understand videos.
* Art Center College of Design
* University of Hawaii - West Oahu
* Harvard University Extension School
* Excelsior College
* Central Texas College
* Citrus College
Community and Volunteer Service
* Volunteers with Hawaii Nature Center and HOH 808 to clear invasive plant species in swamps and clear trash.
* Coordinates beach clean ups in Nanakuli, Maili, and Waianae
* Raises money and advocates for legislation for special needs children and education services for the Autism Society of Hawaii and Autism Speaks